Monday, July 12, 2010

Garmin nüvifone G60 GPS Phone (AT&T) smartphone and iPhone iTouch iPad ideas! and then into some freestyle writing. Remember to forget.

Okay, so this phone will work really well for those of you that are unfamiliar with smartphones. Why, you ask? Oh, you didn't ask? Okay, have a great night! If you did ask why? or "let's see what this fool has to say." There is a decent chance that you've at least used a navigation system, and the user interface for this phone is not radically different, so you will have had practice to some degree. Things will come more intuitively and it makes it a great way to get into the touchscreen smartphone market. It's also brand-spankin' new (relatively), and I doubt any other SMARTPHONE has more accurate and COMPREHENSIVE tracking. The reason I find this so appealing and have purchased for my brother, is that he has both an old damaged cell phone, and a garmin navigation system that is also yearssss old. He still covets his nav system because it was one of the first that offered traffic, so he uses it to check traffic, not necessarily for directions. One complaint is that his car has been broken into when he, with great luck, did not have it in the car. So, with your smartphone in your pocket, your GPS is also safe.

Other comapanies actually did this first with the super old PDAs and then the electronic ink readers that first came out looonngg ago. Anyway, you are familiar with the iPhone? Well, the iPad has some different features, but its similar enough that you won't feel like you have to learn something completely new (which I, unlike X number of people I know, like to do). But really, sometimes people just don't have time. And the iPad can serve as a pragmatic device in the workplace or even in school. I don't know anyone that can type on the iPad faster than they can on a laptop keyboard. Aside from the few buttons that are in different places (like end, home, pg up, pg down, arrow keys, ctrl, shift, caps lock, enter) which are all important, they probably take hours of use measured with one numeral. Minor adjustments like that are more tolerable to people than radical ones like a full on touchscreen tablet that doesn't have any location specific tactile feedback that a physical keyboard has. Or in less technical nerd terms, feeling that you've pressed each key, that crisp feel. Basically, maybe it can slow down irresponsible computer use during school hours for you youngsters! hahaha, no worries, I'm a young person, I think.

You want to know what the ultimate solution to everything is? A Macbook Air with an Intel iCore processor that also has a slot loading drive and reversible screen that would allow it, at its thin light design, to also be used in the same fashion as the iPad, with a slot to load your paper thin touchscreen phone for integration. Problem? Not many people would buy it and it would cost probably $4,000. But wouldn't that be awesome? It usually is when it's not currently possible, hahahaha, funny how that works.

While we all want one device to do many things (and our smartphones can do that), if you think about it, our smartphones aren't in large majority, doing the many things for us that we "need" ("want" would be subject to soooooo many more variables). In other words, think back about 5 years when we had flip phones and lets just say that texting were easy. Did you NEED an application that tells you what song you are hearing? Do you NEED to mark the location of your car with an app? Do you NEED to receive e-mail immediately on your phone? Do you NEED a camera on the front of your phone or an HDMI output on your phone (EVO 4G from Sprint)? The answer, IN REALITY, is that if all our smartphones were destroyed and we went back to flip phones, we'd all probably cry (I'd be the first, hahahaha), but we just have to find a way to enjoy what we have. Oh yeah, when you bought your flip phones, how much $ did you spend on apps per month? Exactly.

In short, I have gone off on a big tangent, but I'm still speaking to the "need" for multiple devices. I have SEVERAL devices that I use everyday, that I really don't need but make things so efficient for my job and my life in general. Can I live without my phone? At first I would probably go into withdrawal and have to be allowed to used previous generations of phones until I got to Zack Morris's massive analog mobile phone when I realized, hey I don't NEED this. (Of course, barring emergencies and extreme situations that necessitate any useful information that can be acquired or transmitted to aid those in need...although I would argue against the substitute for CPR instructions on your iPhone vs getting proper lessons. The question is, would you have had the lessons if you didn't have the phone? Who the hell knows?) You may discover at times in my blogs that I ask more questions than I ask and either offer possible answers, no answers, or embrace the uncertainty. With uncertainty comes fear, no doubt, that's a part of being human. However, with uncertainty also comes a plethora of possibilities. For example, did you just waste your time reading this? It's a good question. I will say that I enjoyed writing and sharing it, even if one person reads through it.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment